I assume this is set, but make sure the gmail sync contacts is checked in the accounts & sync settings. uncheck and recheck it to force a sync. If that's still not working, try clearing the data in the Apps Manager for the contacts and contacts storage apps. or at factory reset may be need to clear out the issue.
I think that this is just one of those things that doesn't have a real answer, except that my contacts app is acting screwey. I called customer service and they walked me through a few things and what seems to be th eproblem is that these contacts (ones that I manually entered on my phone) are coming up as being from an unknown source. That rep said that I should just sit with my computer and manually add them there and then delete the "unknown source" entries from my phone and allow the gmail account on my computer update them to my phone. Kind of sucks though, because I think that like most people, I am adding contacts when I am out and entering them through my phone. That means that if this continues, then I will be stuck always having to take the phone info, manually enter it al again to my computer and then delete the original phone entry.
When you create a new Contact on your Sensation, you have the option of it being 1 of 3 Contact Types:
- Google (assuming you have a Google account already setup on the Sensation)
The type you use when creating the contact makes all the difference and it cannot be changed after the contact entry has been saved. If you sync with Google, when you create a new Contact, every new contact you create you'd want to be sure was of Contact Type Google. Entries with the wrong Contact Type may not sync as you would expect.
Since I always sync with MS Outlook via HTC Sync, I always use Contact Type Phone.
Similar situation with new Appointment entries. Those are type Google or PC Sync.
Yeah, this is what they said on phone support, as well, but the default is already set to Google and given that I hadn't even noticed that option before, I would assume that is how it was set when I did add these contacts. If it was a setting that I had changed for all of these contacts, I would remember having changed that option from the default setting over and over again for each of these contacts that are affected.
The only thing that I can guess, when I put all things on a time line, is that SIM or Phone had been the default option, up until ICS. It is only since ICS that I caught the issue and when I look at adding contacts, teh default is already set to Google.
If only one is entered with a certain setting it becomes the default. So all you needed to do was enter one with a certain setting, and future new additions may default that way. It's not something you would have needed to change manually repeatedly.
Now you know about it, and you can keep an eye out.
And you know, if nothing else helps, factory reset .