Sorry, what I meant to say is that I see the message in the lower right-hand corner of the main Kies screen that the SGH-T989 connection is lost a few seconds after the firmware upgrade starts, and then under "Connected devices" it changes to the "Please connect a device message". The phone never receives the upgrade. It still says Gingerbread 2.3.6....
Does the upgrade even start? Try a diffrent USB port or another cable if you have one. It might be a loose connection.
Try starting from scratch and follow this Guide
Thank you. The upgrade does start, and it goes through the whole process, but again it's says in the lower right-hand corner of the screen (and under "Connected devices") that the connection to the phone is lost. And sometimes it would just start trying to re-connect on it's own. The phone never gets the update. The USB icon symbol is still on the phone. My computer has 3 USB ports, and I've tried them all. I tried to do it on another computer, and the same thing keeps happening. I don't have another cable. I got this phone at the beginning of the year, so it's fairly new, and this shouldn't happen.
Did you try following that guide and starting over? If you uninstall Kies and the drivers and start over you should be fine. As long as the computer can recongnize the device you shouldn't have problem with disconnecting/connecting. It might be part of the software update. It will disconnect when the phone turns off and switches to Download mode.
I've never heard of that happening to anyone before. The only other thing I can suggest is to try another computer lol. Or you can install the ICS using Odin.
It went black for a sec then booted into recovery.
Well the people over at XDA have got a version which you can flash via ODIN.
Step 1: Download Odin. Found here.
Step 2: Download ICS (Don't worry this is just regular stock)
Step 3: Exact the ICS zip that you downloaded.
Step 4: Open Odin
Does it 0:[COMX] <-- The x referes to a # for the port that the phone is connected too.
Click the PDA button and nagivate to the extracted tar file.
Note this should all be down when your phone is in download mode..aka..Odin Mode
Leave all the defaults checked..so..
Re-partion = Unchecked
Auto Reboot = CHECKED
F. Reset Tiem = CHECKED
Flash lock = unchecked
Phone EFS Clear = unchecked
Phone Bootloader Update = unchecked.
I tried again installing through Kies on my PC, and this is what keeps happening evey time I try (the phone intermittently loses the USB connection on it's own during the stetup process):
1. The phone successfully connects to Kies, and after it finished loading I get to the screen where it has "Connected devices" on the left, and underneath has "Contacts, Music, Photos, Videos & Podcast".
2. There's a section that says "New firmware is available", and there's an orange button that says "Firmware upgrade" that you can click, which I did.
3. And every time after clicking the "Firmware upgrade" button to begin the upgrade, the screen gets greyed out, and I see the message on the bottom of the right hand corner that says "Connection to SGH T-989 lost."
4. But then I still get the following message afterwards: 'Notice - Home screen customization will be refreshed back to its factory default setting. Tap Next to proceed with the ICS OS upgrade", even though the phone lost the USB connection.
5. It would also then go to the screen where it says "Connect a device to use all the Kies' features", and I get the popup box "Firmware upgrade progress" which states that it's dowloading the file for the firmware upgrade, and not to disconnect the cable connected to the PC" with the precentage on the bottom. But on the left side of the screen under "Connected devices" it says please connect a device.
6. And when it all finishes, it tells me in one way or another that the upgrade failed becuase the connection was lost.
Do you mean the pop up screen in the beginning after starting Kies and connecting the phone that says there's a firmware upgrade available, and asks you if you want to upgrade? And there's an option to Update or Cancel? I'm trying to do that right now by leaving it alone and see if the computer does something automatically, but it's not.