I would reccommend picking up a netbook with Wi-Fi and then using either the Sonic or 4G Mobile Hotspot devices. This set up has multiple advantages.
- You aren't stuck with hardware (netbook) that only works with one carrier.
- The cost of netbooks with 3G/4G radios is usually higher.
- The mobile hotspots allow multiple connections (up to 5).
- If you are in a building with signal issues a hotspot will allow you to place the it where you get the best signal without having to have the netbook be in that spot.
- If you purchase a different computer the only requirement will be that it has Wi-Fi.
I'm sure there are many more advantages. These are just ones I came up with is a few minutes time.
Here is a link to T-Mobile's mobile hotspots:
Hope this helps!
Hotspot won't work for me. The laptop is for work and it would be too much of a hassle to lug around a mobile hotspot. not to mention another device i would need to char ge in mytruck. I currently use a HP 311-1037NR but I am limited to EDGE speeds only. If you know where I could purchase the Dell Mini iM1012-27010. THANKS!
What kind of phone do you have? It may be capable of USB tethering or mobile hotspot.
If you are truely set on a netboot with the 3G/4G radios built in you are going to have to call around to local stores at this time. Both are showing as out of stock online.
I searched both amazon and ebay as well and didn't see any listings for the Dell Mini 10 with the T-Mobile radios.
On that note I'm really out of suggestions. Good luck.
Awesome that you were able to find one! As far as the drivers, here you go:
To make sure you download the correct drivers you will need to know which Dell Mini 10 you have, the 3G or 4G.
If webConnect Manager is already installed you can do the following:
- Open the webConnect Manager
- Click Tools
- Click Network Info
- Select Broadband
- Click the Device tab
- Under modem manufacturer it should say Huawei
- Under modem model you will see EM820U for the 4G and EM770U for the 3G
If webConnect Manager is not installed you can tell by the T-Mobile sticker near the keyboard:
- Rounded corners and only shows "T-Mobile" indicate the 4G
- Squared off corners and "T-Mobile webConnect" indicate the 3G
If it's not installed you can also download the webConnect Manager from the same site I listed above.