As millions have already learned, it’s quick and easy to setup your unlocked device to work on T-Mobile’s network. Most GSM phones, such as most phones from AT&T, will work in the T-Mobile network. Use these steps to set up an unlocked non-T-Mobile device. Read the Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer.
For Apple devices, see Setup guide: Apple.
- To work on T-Mobile's network, the device must be Mobile Device Unlocked.
- T-Mobile cannot assist customers with unlocking their carrier-specific device. T-Mobile recommends that you contact the carrier the device was originally sold on to request an unlock code.
To determine if a device is compatible with the T-Mobile network, follow these steps:
- Use the online compatibility checker to verify compatibility.
- If the checker shows "No match found," then check:
- Use the online SIM checker to determine which SIM card you need.
- Purchase the correct SIM card. See: Buy a SIM card.
Internet and picture message (MMS) settings need to be configured for the T-Mobile network. To set up the Internet and MMS, follow these steps:
- Insert the activated SIM card, turn on the device, and test opening a web page. Some devices may automatically work.
- If internet does not work, follow steps in Generic T-Mobile data settings.
- If the generic settings did not work, search the Non T-Mobile space for documents and discussions to help.
- If data and MMS are still not working, contact the device manufacturer for instructions on how to enter the settings.
Note: See the Non-T-Mobile phone & software disclaimer.