Learn how to troubleshoot data connection problems.
When you use a 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE-enabled device in a 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE area, the device automatically scans for the best available network. The device will display 3G, 4G, H or LTE next to the signal bars when successfully registered on a 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE network.
To troubleshoot problems connecting to the T-Mobile network, follow these steps:
- Make sure your device supports 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE. To check, visit the Tech Specs for your device.
- Make sure your device has the latest software version.
- Check the coverage for your area by using our Personal Coverage Check.
- Turn off your device.
- Look for your SIM card and make it is inserted properly.
- Reinsert the battery and turn on your device.
- If you cannot connect to 3G/4G/LTE, perform a manual network selection. Find steps in your device's how tos, under Settings & operating system > Network > Manual network selection.
- If possible, see if another T-Mobile 3G, 4G, or 4G LTE device in the area is working properly.
- If the other device has the same issue, contact us for additional troubleshooting.
- If the other device does not have the same issue, back up your information and reset your device. Find steps in your device's how tos, under Settings & operating system > Network > Reset.