Learn how to get started using a BYOD iPhone or iPad.
If you have purchased an iPhone or iPad directly from Apple or T-Mobile and already have service, your device is already set up properly. The steps below are only for iPhones and iPads not purchased from T-Mobile.
To get started using a BYOD iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
- Choose the right Apple device for you
- T-Mobile recommends you buy an iPhone® directly from T-Mobile or Apple®, either from their online store or at a retail location. You can also find an T-Mobile Contract Free iPhone® on Amazon and other popular online retailers.
- Note: We do not recommend getting an unofficially unlocked iPhone® (jailbroken), as some services and features may not work on the T-Mobile network. Additionally, software updates, when available, may re-lock the device.
- Depending on which model iPhone® you have, you may need a new SIM card.
- Use the online SIM checker to determine which SIM card you need.
- Before the iPhone can be used, it must first be activated and configured to work on the T-Mobile network.
- See First use configuration and device activation: iPhone.
Now that your Internet and phone services are working, it’s time to customize your device.
- Review the Help & How To's for information on:
Transferring contacts from Gmail
Setting up and using FaceTime
Setting up and using iCloud
- Using Siri (iPhone 4S & 5)