Performing regular maintenance on Windows Phone devices ensures that the device will continue working as designed.
Perform the following steps as regular maintenance:
Restart the device regularly
You should restart the phone at least once a day:
- Press and hold the Power key.
- Touch Restart (if available) or Power Off.
- If necessary, press the Power key to turn the device back on.
Clear memory regularly
Clear the memory at least once a week:
Note: Refer to your user manual for instructions.
- Delete the call logs.
- Delete unnecessary text messages (SMS) and picture messages (MMS).
- Clear the browser cache, cookies, or history.
- Manage applications. See section below.
- Check the available internal device memory. It must be over 25 MB. If it is less, the Windows system cannot work properly. You must clear more memory and delete more apps.
Set the device to manage some memory
Prevent the memory from being filled as quickly:
- Windows Mobile devices set the text message limit to delete messages automatically.
- Change the setting for email synchronization to download only for the past three days.
Keep managing any applications that you install to keep the system running properly:
- If you notice the device having some problems and you installed apps in the past few days, then uninstall all the new apps. Continue using the device to see if the issues recur without those apps. Most device problems are actually caused by app errors.
- Ensure you clear history of internet browsers.