Understanding the Issue
- A back screen with exclamation point (as shown in screenshot below) displays.
- Key presses appear seem unresponsive
- Entered Recovery mode
What happens and why
Recovery mode is usually accessed from the bootloader. Certain troubleshooting steps such as a wiping the cache partition can usually be accessed from the mode. Most devices use the Volume Up and Volume Down keys to navigate through the bootloader. The Power key is usually used to select recovery in order to access this menu.
Recovery can also appear in some bootloader unlock operations, and in rooting a device. T-Mobile does not support rooted devices.
Help & How to
To fix exclamation mark on a black screen, follow these steps:
Note: These steps work with most Android devices, but not all. Manufacturers customize the bootloader and recovery mode of their phones. If these steps do not work, contact the manufacturer.
- Remove the battery from the device.
- Re-insert the battery.
- Turn on the device.
- If recovery mode appears again, hold Volume Up, and then press Power button
- Use Volume Up or Volume Down to select Reboot system and.
- Press the Power button to select.
- Attempt other button combinations with the volume keys and other physical keys
- Perform a master reset using the hardware keys. You can find the steps for your device in the device space.