Understanding the Issue
- Pressing the Power key does not turn on the device
- Battery will not charge and loses all power (device will not power on due to no battery life)
What happens and why
Possible causes can include the following:
- Power button is not working
- Screen problem
- Charger is not charging the device
- Physical damage
- Device was not charged
- Known device issue
Help & How to
What to expect
- Have you charged your device for a minimum of 4 hours? If not, charge your device. See Battery in How to's.
- Charge the device using:
- Outlet that is tested and working. Plug in a light to test the outlet. (Do not use a USB port to test charging.)
- Original charger that came with the device.
- Depleted batteries can take 20 minutes or more for a charging indication.
- Is there a visual, audio, or vibration cue when pressing the power button? If yes, troubleshoot as a blank display issue.
- Check the device software version, and update if available.
- Check device troubleshooting documents.
- Make sure the Power key is not loose or damaged. If it is, see Keypad / button troubleshooting.
- Press and hold the Power key for 15 seconds.
- Unplug the charging cable.
- Remove the memory card and battery (if removable). After removing them:.
- Press the Power key and hold it for 5 seconds to discharge any remaining power.
- Check the battery for missing contacts, swelling, or other physical damage. If the battery shows damage, then it may need to be replaced.
- Check the device for any scratches, dents, other signs of physical damage, and the Liquid Damage Indicator (LDI). See Indicators in How to's.
- Check the device charging port to see if it is loose. If the charging port is loose, and there is no physical damage or cracked plastics, contact us.
- Re-insert the battery (not the memory card).
- Turn on the device.
Note: If the phone turns on without the memory card but cannot turn on with the card, then you may need to format the memory card or buy a replacement.
- If problems continue, make sure the battery has been plugged in for at least 20 minutes.
- Attempt to turn on the device in Safe Mode, if available on the device.
Note: If you can turn it on in Safe Mode, uninstall recently downloaded applications.
- If problems continue, test charging with (1) an alternate charger and (2) an alternate battery (if available and removable). Then if:
- Alternate battery worked
Contact the retailer or manufacturer of the battery for support or replacement.
- Alternate charger worked
Contact the retailer or manufacturer of the charger for support or replacement.
- Alternate battery and charger both fail
- Alternate battery worked