Beginning March 13, the BlackBerry Torch 9810 will receive a software update to software version 7.1 to increase reliability and add new features, including Wi-Fi calling.
The new BlackBerry OS 7.1 has the following features.
- Wi-Fi Calling: Allows you to make calls over a Wi-Fi network. Does not support handoffs to cell network, so calls will drop when you leave the Wi-Fi coverage.
- Mobile HotSpot/USB tethering: Allows you to connect up to five devices to the internet through your BlackBerry device.
- Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS): A personalized emergency alert system designed to alert people of nearby threats or emergencies.
- BBM Music: A new feature that lets you download 50 tracks when you sign up and up to 25 tracks per month.
- Bing search: Device searches also use Bing to provide additional search results.
- BlackBerry Device Analyzer: Lets you perform diagnostic tests to check for errors or issues, which can help you resolve device problems without having to call Customer Care.
The new BlackBerry OS 7.1 provides the following improvements.
- Helps resolve JVM error 517
- Resolves audio issues
- Resolves issues with devices not indicating or taking a charge
- Improves random reboots or powering down
- Improves freezing, slow, no response, or hourglass issues
Download update through your phone
To complete the update through your device, follow these steps:
- If necessary, touch the bottom of the Home screen to expand the Applications panel.
- Scroll to the All panel and tap the Options icon.
- Scroll to and select Device.
- Scroll to and select Software Updates.
The update can take up to two hours and the phone will be inoperable during the process. You will not be able to make or receive calls or text messages until the update is complete. Since the update can take up to two hours, it is recommended that you do not start this process until you can be without your phone for an extended period.
Update device software through your computer
You can update your device software through your computer, even if you have not received the Over the Air notification. To download or check for updates, refer to these documents:
- Upgrade device software: BlackBerry (non-BES only)
- Run application loader to install the latest device software: BlackBerry (all devices)