T-Mobile is committed to enhancing customers' experience with our Samsung devices, including providing upgrades to the latest operating systems. We are extensively testing and actively working with Samsung to ensure that eligible devices are upgraded to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in the coming months and will communicate updates as soon as we have additional details to share.
Samsung and T-Mobile plan to release a software update for the Samsung Galaxy S II that updates the device software to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The dates for this future update are TBD, but this document will be updated when details become available. See Software updates for Android for more information.
Beginning December 14, a software update will be available for the Samsung Galaxy S II. The update will upgrade the device to Android 2.3.6./Software version T989VUVKL1.
Devices upgrading to Android 2.3.6./Software version T989VUVKL1 will benefit from various improvements based on customer feedback.
Devices upgrading to T989VUVKL1 will benefit from:
- Caller ID enhancements
- Battery enhancements
- Wi-Fi calling enhancements
Note: The upgrade to KL1 is NOT required. You may opt out of the upgrade and continue using the previous software version.
- This upgrade will be sent to devices Over the Air (OTA / FOTA) and be available via Kies.
- Desktop or laptop PC running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7.
- Mac users should use the following steps to upgrade their device: http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PROD_ID=560&AT_ID=364475
- An available USB port.
- All firewall and antivirus programs should be disabled.
- Administrative privileges required to download and install sofware, including drivers.
- The Galaxy S II device should have a fully charged battery.
- USB cable included in the retail box (Note: This may be connected to your wall charger).
- The most current version of Samsung Kies software (see below).
Note: For any issues with the Kies download or installation process or any issues experienced when connecting the Galaxy S II to Kies Mini, please contact Samsung for further assistance at 1-888-987-4357 or http://www.samsung.com/us/support/.
- Download the most recent version of Kies by visiting http://TinyUrl.com/Galaxys2Kies, click Software, then click the version of Kies for your operating system.
Note: Save the file to a desired location - the Desktop is recommended for easy access.
- Double click the Kies file. The program will self extract, no action is required.
- Select the desired Language and Location, then click Next.
- Read the license agreement, check the box for "I accept..." and click Next.
- Kies Mini will begin the installation. No action is required.
- When the process is complete, click Finish.
Prepare the Samsung Galaxy S II
- From the Android home screen, press the Menu key and tap Settings.
- Tap Applications.
- Tap Development.
- Tap USB Debugging.
- Tap the Home key to exit the settings menu.
- Insert the USB data cable into the phone and then into an available port on the computer.
Select Samsung Kies at the phone prompt. The PC should recognize several devices and begin installation. This is normal and may take a few minutes. Unplug the data cable when completed.
Upgrade the device to KL1
Important: Verify that you have backed up all of your data, including the contents of the internal (non-removable) SD card, to prevent unnecessary data loss.
- On the PC, open the Kies application.
- Connect the device to the computer using the included USB cable.
- Once Kies recognizes the device, a popup window will appear.
- Click Update.
- Read the Caution statements and select the I have read... check box.
- If desired, select Allow saving to back up the device. If not, select Proceed without saving.
- Click Start Upgrade.
- The software will download to the PC, and then to the device.
- When the update completes, the 'Firmware Upgrade Complete' window will appear.
- Click OK to confirm.
- What is FOTA?
- FOTA stands for Firmware Over The Air and is the process by which required updates and enhancements to your phone's basic operating system can be sent to you through the cellular network. The Galaxy S II software update will be sent via FOTA and is available through Samsung Kies mini.
- Will I be notified of the KL1 update?
- Yes. Since the update is being set via OTA, the customer will receive notification of the update on their device.
- Can I still use my phone while the update happens?
- No. During the update, the phone will not be available for use.
- Do I have to update my phone?
- No, this software update is optional but is recommended in order to experience optimal performance. It’s very easy to update your phone and will only take a few minutes.
- Will the update affect my data or contacts?
- The update should not affect any content or contacts loaded to the device. You should still back up all data, however, to prevent accidental loss due to unforeseeable issues with the upgrade. Make sure that you also back up the contents of the internal (non-removable) SD card to avoid unnecessary loss.
- Can I manually request a KL1 update push?
- No. The upgrade is being distributing in a staggered rollout. It cannot be requested.
Please remember: For any issues with the Kies download or installation process or any issues experienced when connecting the Galaxy S II to Kies, refer to Samsung (1-888-987-4357 or http://www.samsung.com/us/support/) for further assistance.