To format the SD card while inserted into an Android handset, follow these steps:
From a computer
- Back up data on the storage or SD card, if desired.
- Plug the device into a computer with a USB cable.
- From the Notification bar, verify that Disk Drive or Mass Storage mode are selected.
- On the computer Start menu, navigate to Computer or My Computer.
- Find the Removable disk located under devices with removable storage.
- Right-click the removable disk.
- Click Format.
- Verify the file system is set at FAT32 and Quick Format is selected.
- Click Start.
- Wait a few minutes for the computer to format the SD card.
Note: If errors appear during this process, the SD card is likely defective.
From device settings
- From the home screen, press Menu.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap SD Card and Phone Storage
- If Format SD card is grayed out, tap Unmount SD card.
- Tap Format SD Card.
- Accept any warning messages.
- Tap Format SD card again.
Note: If you use a pattern lock or password, you may need to enter it.
- Tap Erase everything.
Press the Home key to return to the main screen.
- If necessary, take a picture in order to test the device. Many devices only take photos if a properly formatted SD card is inserted.