Learn about the international data roaming experience prior to the October 20, 2013, launch of Included International Roaming, also known as Simple Choice Goes Global. Use this page if you have a plan that does NOT have Included International Roaming. For more information, see T-Mobile.com/International. To Change your plan in My T-Mobile.
International data roaming details
Your device periodically connects to the Internet to check for device updates, synchronize the calendar, and keep open applications running in the background. To protect against overage charges when you're not using Web/Data, close all open applications that use the Web. When roaming, turn off data roaming capabilities.
The use of data services while roaming Internationally is not available for Pay in Advance accounts.
How you're billed
The international roaming charge is $15 per MB ($0.015 per KB1, 1 MB = 1,024 KB = 1,048,576 Byte).
Exception: Roaming in Canada on the Rogers Communications network is $10 per MB (=$0.01 per KB).
International Roaming data usage is rounded up to the next 25 KB for billing purposes.
Example: If you use 3.010 MB, usage is rounded to 3.025 MB, except in Canada where the rounding factor is 2 KB.
Billing is based on all data transmitted (sent and received). "Data" includes the following:
- Logging in and out of websites
- Display of website pages while "surfing"
- Applications (we cannot determine which third party applications may transmit data)
- MP3 downloads
- Data synchronization for functions such as calendars, contacts, email and MobileLife Contacts
- Chat information while using Java™ chat sites
- Device, such as laptop, while using data internationally
- Attachments transmitted to a handset or laptop whether read or unread
- BlackBerry Messenger
- PIN-to-PIN Messaging on BlackBerry devices (Instant Messaging)
To ensure that you're aware of potential data roaming charges:
- You'll receive free text messages (SMS) as you leave the United States notifying you of future courtesy messages and self-help options.
Note: Laptop stick and netbook devices do receive these text messages via the Connection Manager user interface.
- As data services are used, you'll receive additional free text messages notifying you of the monetary charges and self-help options.
- International Roaming Data is received real-time. Therefore, you'll receive these notifications as they reach the limit.
|Welcome Messages||Sent once you leave the U.S.|
|Roaming Data On||If you dial #RON#.||Your international roaming data usage has now been enabled. To disable, please dial #ROF#.|
|Roaming Data Off||If you dial #ROF#.||Your international roaming data usage has now been disabled. To enable, please dial #RON#.|
|3MB||When you reach 3MB of data usage.|
Free T-Mobile Msg: Your Intl Data Roaming charge in this bill cycle has reached $50. To turn Data off, Dial #ROF# (#763#) SEND.
|6MB||When you reach 6MB of data usage.|
Free T-Mobile Msg: Your Intl Data Roaming charge in this bill cycle has reached $100. To turn Data off, Dial #ROF# (#763#) SEND.
|12MB||When you reach 12MB of data usage.|
Free T-Mobile Msg: Your Intl Data Roaming charge in this bill cycle has reached $200. To turn Data off, Dial #ROF# (#763#) SEND.
|30MB||When you reach 30MB of data usage.|
Free T-Mobile Msg: This is the final alert in the current bill cycle. Your Intl Data Roaming charges have reached $500. To turn Data off, Dial #ROF# (#763#) SEND.
Tips and basic troubleshooting
Use the following short codes to toggle your roaming options:
|#ROF#||#763#||Roaming - Disables international data roaming.|
|#RON#||#766#||Roaming - Enables international data roaming.|
If you'r unable to connect to data while roaming internationally: