Find answers to commonly asked questions about device returns.
- What if I recently purchased a new T-Mobile phone?
- What if my phone is defective and still under the manufacturer warranty?
- What fee is charged when T-Mobile provides you with a replacement phone and submits your phone to the manufacturer?
- How can I determine if my phone is under the manufacturer warranty?
- How can I return my phone?
What if I recently purchased a new T-Mobile phone?
Depending upon the point of purchase, you have different deadlines for returning your phone.
- 14 days
- 20 days for online purchases via t-mobile.com
Note: Equipment must be in good working condition with original contents and packaging to be eligible for a refund of the purchase price. This return policy applies to the purchase of new equipment from T-Mobile or its authorized dealers. Proof of purchase is required. We may charge a restocking fee. A different return period may apply to accessory purchases. Prepaid cards, software, or games are not refundable.
What if my phone is defective and still under the manufacturer warranty?
If your phone is defective and still under manufacturer warranty, you can return it directly to the manufacturer. T-Mobile can assist you by providing you with a replacement phone and submitting your phone to the manufacturer for you. This is a service that T-Mobile provides as a supplement to the manufacturer warranty that may come with your phone.
T-Mobile charges a processing fee for this service. If you would like T-Mobile to provide you with a replacement phone and to send your defective phone to the manufacturer for you, contact Customer Care to order a replacement. Please note that when you call, Customer Care will first attempt to troubleshoot your phone issues. For this reason, please make your initial call to Customer Care from a different phone or you may limit the ability to troubleshoot.
Once you receive the replacement phone, you must return the defective phone to T-Mobile to complete the exchange.
To receive a replacement phone in advance from T-Mobile, you must agree that we may charge you an out of warranty fee for the value of the equipment if your phone is found to be outside the manufacturer warranty period and/or is physically damaged in a manner not covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. You will only be charged the Out of Warranty Fee if, after T-Mobile has received your phone and inspected it, the phone is outside the warranty period or is otherwise defective in a manner not covered by the manufacturer warranty, as described below.
- Important: You can return devices directly to the manufacturer if you do not want to participate in T-Mobile’s phone replacement program. Those who elect to participate in this program must agree to pay an Out of Warranty Fee of up to $300 (depending upon device model) if their original phone is ultimately determined not to be covered by any manufacturer warranty.
You can contact T-Mobile Customer Care for the Out of Warranty Fee for your particular device.
- Note: If you purchased devices under our Refurbished Device Program you can also participate in T-Mobile’s phone replacement program if your phone is still under T-Mobile’s 90 day limited warranty. You must agree that we may charge you an Out of Warranty fee if your refurbished device is found to be outside the limited 90 day warranty period and/or is physically damaged in a manner not covered by the T-Mobile 90-day limited warranty.
When receiving a new replacement phone, see the available shipping options below:
Non PHP Subscriber or PHP Insurance Subscriber
PHP Bundle or PHP Warranty Subscriber
Prepaid Subscriber Post Exchange
(Ground 7 - Business days)
(Next Business Day)
(Ground 7 Business days, once original device is received by T-Mobile)
(Ground 7 - Business days)
ExpressNext Day Delivery
$19.99 Plus applicable tax
(Express - 3 Business Days )
(Express - 3 Business Days )
T-Mobile charges a Service Warranty Processing fee when you participate in T-Mobile’s replacement phone program.
This service is offered as a supplement to the manufacturer warranty that may come with your phone. The fee is $20, unless you have enrolled in additional warranty coverage provided by the Premium Handset Protection program, in which case the Service Warranty Processing fee is $5.
What fee is charged when T-Mobile provides you with a replacement phone and submits your phone to the manufacturer?
T-Mobile charges a Service Warranty Processing fee when you participate in T-Mobile’s replacement phone program. This service is offered as a supplement to the manufacturer warranty that may come with your phone. The fee is $20, unless you have enrolled in additional warranty coverage provided by the Premium Handset Protection program, in which case the Service Warranty Processing fee is $5.
How can I determine if my phone is under the manufacturer warranty?
If you purchased a new T-Mobile phone, it is under a manufacturer warranty for a period that varies by device and manufacturer from 90 days up to 12 months from the activation date on the T-Mobile network or the date of receipt, whichever is earlier.
If you purchased a refurbished T-Mobile phone, it is under T-Mobile's limited warranty from either 90 days of receipt or the remainder of your 12-month service agreement, whichever is longer.
- Note: Phone warranties are not transferable from one customer to another. T-Mobile does not support warranties for any devices that were not purchased through T-Mobile or an authorized T-Mobile dealer.
If it is apparent your device is not under the manufacturer warranty that T-Mobile supports, please contact the manufacturer directly.
How can I return my phone?
If your new T-Mobile phone does not meet your expectations, we're here to help. In order to receive full credit for your purchase price (less any rebates), please return the phone plus all associated original contents, undamaged and in good working condition, within 20 days from the day you received the phone if you purchased online at t-mobile.com, or within 14 days if you purchased your phone in a T-Mobile retail store.
How to return your equipment varies depending on where you made your purchase
T-Mobile retail store or authorized dealer
- Return your phone to the point of purchase for a refund (less any discounts or rebates).
T-Mobile Customer Care or online at My T-Mobile:
- Fill out the Return Form and indicate the item(s) that you are returning and the reason(s) for the return. Please note: Your return cannot be processed unless you legibly and accurately fill out the Return Form and include it with your return.
- Place item(s) and completed Return Form in the original package.
- Remove all other unnecessary labels in order to minimize any confusion with shipment.
- Securely seal the package and process it for shipping. Insure the package for the full value of the phone, and send the package via a traceable carrier (such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL). Be sure to ask for and save the tracking number.
Your account will be credited for the full purchase price of the phone (less any rebates) within two billing cycles.
- Note: If you also wish to cancel service, you will need to call Customer Care within 72 hours of receiving the phone.
If your phone has not been delivered, simply refuse delivery of the package and the phone will be returned. Download the Return Form from this document.
- Note: Don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader? Include your name, address, and home phone number in the return package and state whether it is a return for credit or a return for exchange. Hand address the package and ship it to:
T-Mobile Return Center TX
4500 Cambridge Rd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
*Longer phone return period may apply in certain states (for example, 30 days in CA).
- Important: If any items (a) are returned after the specified return period, (b) have been physically damaged, modified, or damaged by liquids, or (c) are missing any parts, then you will not be eligible for, and you will not receive, any credit on your purchase price. In addition, accessories returned after such specified return period will not be returned to you.