Transfer account or line ownership

Learn how to transfer account or line ownership. With an ownership transfer, another person (or business) becomes responsible for the T-Mobile line or account.

  • Only the current owner of an individual account or an authorized user from a business/government account can authorize an ownership transfer.
  • Equipment Installment Plans - If your account is canceled as a result of the ownership change, the remaining EIP balance will be due on your final bill.  You may be eligible to transfer your EIP balance to another account. Contact T-Mobile Customer Service for more details.
  • If you have a payment arrangement or extended payment schedule on your account, you'll need to pay the remaining balance before you transfer account ownership.
  • You're not charged an ETF when completing an ownership change from yourself to another person or business.
  • You are responsible for all current and past due charges on your account. This includes any billed or unbilled charges up to the date the ownership change is completed. You may not transfer the balance to the person or business taking over responsibility.


When taking over billing responsibility, your billing method is assigned based on your account. If you don't already have a T-Mobile account, you're assigned Bill Current billing when your account is activated. If you're adding the line onto an existing T-Mobile account, the billing method is determined by the billing method already assigned to that account.




To transfer account ownership, contact T-Mobile Customer Service. The person taking over the account should read the Terms and Conditions prior to assuming responsibility.


The person taking over the account should be present when contacting Customer Service. They'll need to:

  • Undergo a credit check
  • Agree to a service agreement
  • Qualify for service



Business or Government accounts

If you need to transfer ownership for a business or government account, email the signed attached form to or fax it to 1-877-214-5937.



Related content