Smartphone Mobile Hotspot details
Smartphone Mobile Hotspot service is a great way to use your smartphone’s fast data connection with your laptop or other Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
With Smartphone Mobile Hotspot, you can turn your phone into a wireless Hotspot for up to 5 devices, and no additional wires or cables are needed! Just open the Wi-Fi Hotspot application and follow the simple instructions to turn on security and “name” your Hotspot. You can connect to this Hotspot from your other devices and start browsing over your T-Mobile connection.
Alternatively, if you subscribe to the Smartphone Mobile Hotspot service, you can use USB or Bluetooth tethering to receive Internet access on your laptop through your phone. With USB tethering, you connect your T-Mobile device to your laptop with a USB cable. Incoming calls come in when tethered. Internet connection will resume when the call ends.
- You can make outgoing calls and text messages when tethered.
- You cannot tether your device without this feature (excludes Pay in Advance).
- Does not enable a connection if the mobile device is connected to the Web over Wi-Fi.
- Does not provide any additional data beyond what is included in the required Web add-on feature. For instance, if you have a 5 GB data feature, you have 5 GB for tethering.
Note: Will not work over 2G due to speed requirements.
Device requirements & Feature Details
- Tethering up to the Smartphone Mobile Hotspot data tethering allotment and then capped.
- Smartphone Mobile Hotspot can be added to your account for Unlimited data plans. Check out T-Mobile.com/services for additional information.
- Smartphone Mobile Hotspot is available on certain T-Mobile devices.
- Check the how tos for your phone or internet device for setup steps.
- Smartphone Mobile Hotspot works while roaming domestically up to your data allotment, then data is shut off while roaming.
- Feature is eligible to Unlimited data features only (but was previously available to 2 GB or higher data plans). Since limited bucket data plans (500 MB, 2.5 GB, 4.5 GB, 10.5, etc.) come with Smartphone Mobile Hotspot included, the feature is only needed for the Unlimited data feature where it is not included.
- Not available for limited bucket high speed data features.
- International data roaming available. See International Data Roaming for more info.
To use Smartphone Mobile Hotspot, you need the following equipment:
- A smartphone or tablet capable of using the service.
- For USB tethering, a USB cable to tether the T-Mobile device to the computer.
- In the efforts to make Web access affordable for everyone, T-Mobile set pricing based on the typical usage scenarios.
- In general, those who share their phone's Internet connection with other devices tend to use more data and at a higher rate.
- The standard T-Mobile Terms and Conditions prohibit sharing phones Internet data connection with laptops and other devices, but by adding the Smartphone Mobile Hotspot service you are able to do this.
- Smartphone Mobile Hotspot service is either included in T-Mobile data plans and services, or is available to be added separately.
- For more information, see T-Mobile.com/services.