Understanding the Update
As of April 23, T-Mobile and LG have started the Over-The-Air (OTA) update for the G2x to P999-V21y. The OTA software will be available until May 14. The update to P999-V21e for the G2x will be available on LG's website until May 7. The software P999-V10y will be available on LG's website starting May 14.
You can update in two ways:
- Over the air (OTA) update: T-Mobile will push the update to your device sometime between 4/23 and 5/14. We cannot expedite how soon we send the OTA to individuals.
- Manual update: If you do not want to wait for the OTA, you can update through LG's website beginning 5/14. See the steps for Manual update from LG below.
See also: Check your software version.
Android version 2.3/ Software version P999-V21y
- Android version 2.3 / Software version P999-V21y
- Over-The-Air Update(30.5 MB) and Manual update via LG website
- Approved 4/23/12
- Random reboot/power off fixed
- Device stability improvements
- Wi-Fi Calling improvements
- Boot up fixes
- Android version 2.3 / Software version P999-V21e update
- Desktop or laptop PC running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7
- 1GHz or higher Pentium-compatible processor
- At least 256 MB of RAM (memory)
- Administration rights on the PC for software installation
- High-speed Internet connection
- An available USB port
- All firewall and antivirus programs should be disabled
Android version 2.3/ Software version P999-V21e
- Android version 2.3 / Software version P999-V21e
- Over-The-Air Update
- Approved 12/5/11
Android version 2.3 / Software version P999-V10f
- Android version 2.3 / Software version P999-V10f
- Over-The-Air Update
- Approved 8/10/11
- New features:
Android version 2.2 / Software version P999-V10e
- Android version 2.2 / Software version P999-V10e
- Over-The-Air Update
- Approved 4/20/11
- Original Software
Help & How To
- The G2x will receive a notification that the update is available.
- Select Update.
- The update will install.
- Once complete the phone will restart.
Manual update via LG website(After 5/14)
Prepare for the Update
- The update can take 10 - 30 minutes.
- DO NOT disconnect the USB cable until the update is completed.
- Calling and messaging functions are not available during the update process.
- The handset is automatically reset during this process.
Prepare the T-Mobile G2x
- Fully charge the battery.
- Save any important data onto your PC before updating the software on your device.
- Remove the SD Card.
Update the driver
In order to connect your phone to your PC, you must download and install the latest driver below to your PC.
- Close all open applications on your computer before proceeding with the update.
- Connect your USB cable directly to the computer.
Important: DO NOT use a USB Hub.
- Open a web browser and visit http://www.lg.com/us/support/mobile-devices/mobile-drivers.
- Click the LGP509 Drivers link and download the file to the Desktop.
- Note: The driver link will not work properly in older versions of FireFox. It is recommended that you use IE.
- Open the LGUnitedMobileDriver_S498MA22_WHQL_ML_Ver_2.2.exe file.
- Double-click the LGUnitedMobileDriver_S498MA22_WHQL_ML_Ver_2.2.exe file.
- Click Run and follow the prompts to install/update the drivers.
Install the LG Mobile Support Tool
- Confirm preparation has been completed.
- Confirm the driver has been installed.
- Open a web browser and visit htthttp://www.lg.com/us/support/mobile-devices/phone-support.
- Click the LG Mobile Support Tool link.
- Follow the prompts by clicking Start Updating.
- What is FOTA?
- FOTA stands for Firmware Over The Air and is the process by which required updates and enhancements to your phone's basic operating system can be sent to you through the cellular network. The T-Mobile G2x with Google(V21y) software update will be sent via FOTA at first, and then be available on LG's Website for Manual update.
- Can I still use my phone while the update happens?
- No. During the FOTA or Manual update, the phone will not be available for use.
- Do I have to update my phone??
- No, this software update is optional but is recommended in order to experience optimal performance and new features. It’s very easy to update your phone and will only take a few minutes.
- Will the update affect my data or contacts?
- Yes, the update will reset all data on the phone. Make sure you also back up the contents of the internal (non-removable) SD card to avoid unnecessary loss.
If you encounter any issues with the software update, post a question in the G2x space for additional help.