Use this page to guide you through updating your Motorola handset’s software using Motorola Software Update (MSU).
- See Motorola Software Update - All Devices to determine if the customer needs and qualifies to update their software.
- During the software update, any Digital Rights Management (DRM) specific content saved to the handset memory will be lost. This can include but is not limited to: music, pictures, ringtones, applications and screensavers. Customers must reload all purchased media and applications after the software update.
- Memory card content is not affected after installing new software. DRM content saved to the memory card is retained but may not function due to licensing issues.
- Download software at http://www.t-mobile.com/motoupgrade/ or www.hellomoto.com > Support > Update my Software)
Note: ACTV, RAZR2 V8 & ROKR E8 have different steps outlined in the procedures for updating software.
- Device will be returned to default factory settings
- Device USB Setting needs to be set to "Modem" prior to initiating software update
- Requires a manual backup and restore of personal data (address book, photos, etc.)
- T-Mobile Network Address Book (ACTV is not supported)
- Saving contacts to SIM card.
- Windows Explorer from the PC. There is an update guide at http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/motosupport/source/include/T-Mobile_V8_Update_Guide.pdf
Exception: Customers that have a MOTOACTV that is unlocked will have the device permanently locked to T-Mobile after performing a software update. This is a performance function of MSU for only this device.
Download and Install MSU on a Computer from T-Mobile.com
After the one time installation, you can update your software at any time. If you have not installed MSU, peform the following steps:
Important: This process can take up to 20 minutes.
- Go to http://www.t-mobile.com/motoupgrade/.
- Scroll to your handset model and click get software.
- Enter your 10-digit T-Mobile phone number on the Product Updates screen.
- Click Motorola Software Update.
Note: You can download a user manual and FAQs by selecting the other links.
- In the 'File Download - Security Warning' box, click Run to begin the download process.
- After the download is complete, click Run in the Security Warning box to install MSU on your computer.
- When the splash screen appears, click Next.
- On the welcome screen, click Next.
- Accept the EULA and click Next.
- When the confirm installation screen appears, click Next to start the installation.
- When the final installation screen appears, select the checkbox to launch MSU Immediately if desired, then click Close.
Update Handset Software
When you are ready to open MSU and update your software to the newest version, review the following steps:
Note: This process can take up to 30 minutes depending on internet connection speeds.
- Open the installed MSU program from the desktop.
- RAZR2 V8, MOTOACTV & ROKR E8 ONLY: chenge the USB mode settings.
Note: All other devices, skip to step 3.
- Connect the handset to the computer via a USB cable.
- Read the Software Update Instructions, then click Next. It will take approximately 30 seconds for the device to be recognized by the computer.
- Click Accept to acknowledge that certain data is not backed up will be lost, and click Next.
- Click Accept for the End User License Agreement, and then click Next.
- The computer checks the software and searches for a newer version of software. If there is a new version available, read the notice and click Next
MOTOACTV, MOTOROKR E8 and MOTORAZR 2
All Other Devices
Note: If you already have the latest software, you can reinstall the software and restore their phone's original factory settings.
No New Software Screen Shot
- The software update displays as complete. Click End and disconnect your handset from the computer.