Understanding the Issue
Your phone may have problems signing in to a Google account. If this happens, you may have problems with the Gmail account, Calendar, Play Store, and other services.
- If you do not yet have an Android data feature on your account, add one on my.t-mobile.com.
- Open a couple web pages in the browser (such as www.gmail.com), to verify phone has a data connection.
Note: If the data connection is not working, see Cannot connect to internet or no data for Android or try Wi-Fi.
- From a computer or the phone web browser, go to www.gmail.com, and sign in to the web site.
Note: If you cannot sign in from a computer
- See how to recover a username or recover a password.
- If you get an invalid user name error but the user name is correct, go to: http://www.google.com/accounts/unlockcaptcha
- If you are not willing to wait to hear back from Google regarding the username or password, then you must master reset their device and set up a new Google account.
- If you can sign in from a computer, sign in on their device using the same Email and Password.
- If you see an 'Account Locked' or 'Account Google account locked. error on the computer or phone, see
- Verify if the account has 2-step verification. From a computer, sign in to Gmail, click your Name in the upper-right, click Account settings, and under Security click the link for 2-step verification.
- If 2-step verification is active, perform one of the following:
- If 2-step verification is not active, continue.
- Verify you do not have multiple Gmail accounts synced:
- From Home screen, tap Menu.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Accounts & Sync.
- Verify only one Gmail account.
- If there is an additional account, tap it, and tap tap Remove account.
- Open the Talk app.
- Sign in to the Google account from Talk or Hangouts.
- If the phone cannot sign in, open the YouTube app.
- Press the Menu key.
- Tap My Channel or My Account.
- Sign in to the Google account from YouTube.
- If the phone cannot sign in, perform a master reset.
- Sign into the phone.
- If you still cannot sign in, you can either:
- Google account passwords must be at least eight characters.
- Add an alternate email address in the Add an additional email address field, so you can recover the Google username and password information using the alternate e-mail address in the future.