Google has implemented a new feature where it is possible to retrieve your lost Gmail password via your mobile phone. You must first enable this feature in your Gmail account. To enable this feature and add your mobile number to Google's password recovery, follow these steps:
- From a computer, log in to your Gmail account (www.gmail.com).
- Go to Settings > Accounts tab and click on the Google Account Settings link.
- Verify that you are taken to a separate page where you can change your password and other account details.
- Click Change password recovery options.
Click on change password recovery options.
- Verify that you are asked to enter your Gmail password again for security reasons.
- Enter your password and click the Verify button.
- In the corresponding page, click the Add a mobile phone number link in the SMS section and enter your country and mobile number.
- Click the Add a mobile number link and then add your mobile number.
- Click the Save button.
The next time you lose your Gmail password, all you have to do to recover the password is to enter your user name on the Google Password assistance page and Google will instantly send a text message containing the recovery code to your mobile phone.