Beginning November 15, a software update will be available for the Samsung Galaxy S 4G. The update will upgrade the device to Android 2.3./Software version T959VUVKJ6.
Devices upgrading to Android 2.3./Software version T959VUVKJ6 will benefit from various improvements based on customer feedback.
Devices upgrading to T959VUVKJ6 will benefit from:
- Android 2.3(Gingerbread)
- Google Security Patch
- Camera enhancements
- Wi-Fi enhancements
Note: The upgrade to KJ6 is NOT required. You may opt out of the upgrade and continue using software version T959VUVKD1.
- This upgrade will not be sent to devices Over the Air (OTA / FOTA) - Instead, you must install the upgrade by connecting your Galaxy S 4G to a PC using Samsung Kies Mini software.
- Desktop or laptop PC running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7.
- Mac users should use the following steps to upgrade their device: http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PROD_ID=560&AT_ID=364475
- An available USB port.
- All firewall and antivirus programs should be disabled.
- Administrative privileges required to download and install sofware, including drivers.
- The Galaxy S device should have a fully charged battery.
- USB cable included in the retail box (Note: This may be connected to your wall charger).
- The most current version of Samsung Kies Mini software (see below).
Note: For any issues with the Kies Mini download or installation process or any issues experienced when connecting the Galaxy S 4G to Kies Mini, please contact Samsung for further assistance at 1-888-987-4357 or http://www.samsung.com/us/support/.
Installing Kies Mini
- Download the most recent version of Kies Mini by visiting http://tinyurl.com/KiesMini1
- Note: Save the file to a desired location - the Desktop is recommended for easy access.
- Double click the Kies Mini file. The program will self extract, no action is required.
- Select the desired Language and Location, then click Next.
- Read the license agreement, check the box for "I accept..." and click Next.
- Kies Mini will begin the installation. No action is required.
- When the process is complete, click Finish.
Prepare the Samsung Galaxy S 4G
- From the Android home screen, press the Menu key and tap Settings.
- Tap Applications.
- Tap USB settings.
- Tap Ask on connection.
- Tap the Escape key once to go back to the Applications menu.
- Tap Development.
- Tap USB Debugging.
- Tap the Home key to exit the settings menu.
- Insert the USB data cable into the phone and then into an available port on the computer.
Select Samsung Kies at the phone prompt. The PC should recognize several devices and begin installation. This is normal and may take a few minutes. Unplug the data cable when completed.
Upgrade the device to KJ6
Important: Verify that you have backed up all of your data, including the contents of the internal (non-removable) SD card, to prevent unnecessary data loss.
- On the PC, open the Kies Mini application.
- Connect the Galaxy S 4G to the PC using the USB cable, select Samsung Kies at the phone prompt.
- Important: If the Galaxy S 4G was recently rebooted, allow the device to finish Media Scanning before attempting to connect the device to the PC.
- After a few moments, Kies Mini should indicate that a software update is available.
- Click Phone Upgrade.
- Read the Caution statements, click the checkbox for "I have read and understood...", and click the Upgrade button.
- Kies Mini will contact the server and download the upgrade. Depending on the customer's network conditions and connection speed, this could take several minutes.
- Kies Mini will begin upgrading the device.
- Important: The phone's screen may change state or appear to reboot during the process. DO NOT remove the device from the USB cable or reboot the PC until the update is complete. Doing so can permanently damage the device ("brick" the phone).
- When the installation is complete, click Ok to finish. Wait until the phone is finished rebooting and the Android Home screen displays before disconnecting the device.
- What is FOTA?
- FOTA stands for Firmware Over The Air and is the process by which required updates and enhancements to your phone's basic operating system can be sent to you through the cellular network. The Galaxy S 4G (Gingerbread) software update will NOT be sent via FOTA or any other OTA process.
- Will I be notified of the KJ6 update?
- No. Since the update is not being set via OTA, you will not receive any notification of the update on your device.
- Can I still use my phone while the update happens?
- No. During the update, the phone must stay connected to the computer and will not be available for use.
- Do I have to update my phone?
- No, this software update is optional but is recommended in order to experience optimal performance. It’s very easy to update your phone and will only take a few minutes.
- Will the update affect my data or contacts?
- The update should not affect any content or contacts loaded to the device. You should still back up all data, however, to prevent accidental loss due to unforeseeable issues with the upgrade. Make sure that you also back up the contents of the internal (non-removable) SD card to avoid unnecessary loss.
- Can I manually request a KJ6 update push?
- No. The upgrade is not available over the air.
Please remember: For any issues with the Kies Mini download or installation process or any issues experienced when connecting the Galaxy S 4G to Kies Mini, refer to Samsung (1-888-987-4357 or http://www.samsung.com/us/support/) for further assistance.