On July 27, T-Mobile G2 devices will begin to receive an Over-The-Air (OTA) update to Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread). The update will roll out to customers in waves over the coming weeks.
The update provides the following enhancements and improvements.
- New features:
- Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread)
- Tell HTC app
- Google Books added
- Notification bar color scheme is changed to black
- New battery indicator, phone, and web icons
- Color-coded network icon and signal indicator added. Green when connected to Google servers. Grey when not connected.
- Pressing the power key while on a call disables the proximity sensor
- Wi-Fi calling improvements
- New SMS and email notification improvements
- Improvements to sending MMS from the Gallery
Your phone will show a notification when you have received the update. Alternately, to check if your phone has the update, follow these steps:
- From Home screen, press the Menu key.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap About Phone.
- Tap System Updates.
Important: Do NOT call T-Mobile to receive the update before September 1. The timeline for receiving the OTA cannot be expedited. T-Mobile cannot manually push the software to customers who ask to receive it.
Software upgrades at retail stores
Beginning August 6, you will be able to go to a T-Mobile retail store to update your T-Mobile G2 to the most recent software version. This helps if you have not gotten the Over-The-Air (OTA) update.
If the OTA fails, here is what to expect at the retail store:
- Updating at the store can erase all the data on the device. The SD card will not lose data.
Back up your data, synchronize your contacts to Google or T-Mobile Backup, and write down the names of all the applications you will want to re-install.
- The update can take up to 30 minutes to complete.
- The update requires that your phone has over 50% battery life at the store.
- The rep at the retail store will:
- Remove your personal SD card.
- Insert a software update SD card.
- Wait for the update to download and install on the device.
- Remove the software update SD card.
- Insert your personal SD card again.