The Android 2.1 (“Éclair”) software update is available for Garminfone users today via download from a PC or Mac. This update provides Garminfone users with an expanded Android experience on their device, continuing the fully-integrated Garmin premium navigation experience.
This update delivers a number of new features, including:
- Expanded compatibility with applications on Android Market
- New preloaded widgets including Android Market, Phone, Picture Frame and YouTube
- The choice of two home screen layouts
- Existing Garminfone layout
- Four-panel Android layout (three customizable Android panels in addition to Garmin navigation panel)
To update the software to Android 2.1, connect your Garminfone to your computer and follow the steps below to complete the update.
Copying .update file to your Garminfone
- Download the software update package for your Garminfone which can be found here:
2. On the Support page, select Software Updates.
3. Select Android 2.1 (Éclair) Update.
4. Select Download the Android 2.1 (Éclair) Update.
5. Select Save.
6. Select Save to save the file to your computer.
7. Once the download is complete, select Close.
Install the update
1. Connect your Garminfone to your computer using the USB cable provided in thebox.
2. On the device, select "File Transfer" mode when the "USB connected" dialog appears.
3. On the computer, locate My Computer and open it.
4. Double-click on the Garmin-Asus icon displayed on your computer.
a. Mac Users: You can find this icon on your desktop.
5. In the Garmin drive, select the Garmin folder.
6. If there is a folder named Update already, copy the software from its saved location to the Update folder.
Note: For the software update to complete correctly, the file must be put in the Update folder and the file name cannot be changed.
7. If the folder does not have an Update folder, right-click and highlight New, then select Folder.
8. Right-click on the New Folder and name it Update. Ensure the U in Update is capitalized.
9. Once the file transfer is complete, exit File Transfer Mode on the phone by opening the notification bar and tapping USB File Transfer Mode, then tapping Yes.
10. Disconnect the phone from the USB cable and the computer.
11. The phone then shows the UpdateLauncher on the screen.
12. Select OK and the software update will start.
13. The phone reboots and shows a lock screen when the update is complete.